Fall Garland with Colored Lights
I had just a little bit of yarn left over in these fall colors -- brown, straw yellow, and green. So, I used this potato chip scarf pattern to make a garland. After that was done, two strands of colored Christmas lights were wrapped around it. If the cord is long enough, the garland will go on my mantle. Then other things will be added to the mantle display -- like a pumpkin and a basket with potpourri and so forth.
(Sorry, I wasn't able to get a good picture of the garland.)
Autumn Glass Glasses
The little table near my window will also get some new decorations, including these fall glass glasses. I thought about different ways to do them and finally decided to go with simple. I just filled them up with beautiful beads and then glued some fall leaves on them that had been made from ModPodge.
To make these leaf decorations, I poured some ModPodge into two little plastic applesauce containers that were lined with plastic wrap. A few drops of yellow, orange, and red food coloring were mixed in gently with a toothpick. Also sprinkled on some gold and silver glitter. Plastic wrap was used because ModPodge does not stick to it. The problem was that I made the layer of ModPodge too thick. It took about a week and a half to dry! But, it eventually did dry. Then some fall leaf patterns were printed out on the computer -- a maple leaf and another type of leaf. These I laid on top of the pieces of ModPodge and cut around them to get the shape. I glued the leaf shapes on to the glasses glitter side down. Since ModPodge dries transparent, the glitter shows through just enough to make the leaves sparkly.
I had a little trouble when gluing the first leaf on to the bigger glass. At first the beads had been arranged in there as a practice run. But, I liked the way they looked and didn't want to redo them. That meant I had to be careful not to tip the glass while holding the leaf in place. It had to be held about 2 minutes for the glue to stick well. Well, I was holding it securely and wouldn't you know a bug decided to get on my neck and crawl down my shirt. I tipped the glass trying to get rid of the bug, smeared some glue, and sent two beads rolling. Had to wipe smeared glue off the glass and also go bead hunting. One bead had rolled all the way out into the kitchen! Thankfully, it all ended well, with no beads lost, no glass broken, and not too much glue smeared around the glass. :-) Here is a closer up look so you can see the ModPodge leaves.
After these glasses were finished and the leaves glued on, I began preparing ModPodge for another project. I poured some into a container with a flat bottom. This had first been covered with plastic wrap. Then I added some red, orange, and yellow food coloring and stirred it gently with a toothpick. Right now it looks like this, but it will be clear when it dries, and the colors will be blended throughout, just like they are in the leaves.
(Later, I sprinkled some glitter on top but didn't get a picture of that. The glitter was fall colors - gold, green, and silver.)
Thanks for dropping by. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will come again soon!