The first two pictures show a good close-up of the colors (the blue/purple/green side of the vase and the pink/orange side of the vase), and the third picture shows the whole vase. I don't know why the pink didn't show up in the third picture (too much light maybe?), but the pink is still there.
How I Made the Glow-in-the-Dark Galaxy Vase
The vase was made with a number of steps and took a couple of weeks to complete.
First I painted the bottom of the vase with glow-in-the-dark paint and also made some blotches of glow-in-the-dark paint in various places on the inside of the vase.
While the glow-in-the-dark paint was drying, I made some black food coloring. Black food coloring can be easily made by mixing equal amounts of all the colors of food coloring together. In this case, I put three drops of each color, both the regular colors and the neon colors. I used McCormick brand, but any brand would probably do. We just happened to have that brand on hand.
Next I mixed some black food coloring with a little ModPodge and some purple food coloring with a ModPodge. Then I made little blotches of black and purple various places around the vase. Then these had to dry. After the first two colors, each color has to dry before adding the next color. Thus it took two or three days to paint the vase.
After this, other colors were added - like green and orange and red, with each color drying before the next color was added. These colors were made with the same technique, adding a little food coloring to some ModPodge. I also mixed it with some Tulip sparkle paint to give it the glittery effect. That's optional, but I like the glittery effect.
The final thing to do was the glow-in-the-dark insert. I measured the vase (about 6 inches tall) and then cut a piece of quilt batting about 6" high and wide enough to just circle around the inside of the vase. Then I soaked the batting in a solution of diluted glow-in-the-dark paint (about 2/3 paint and 1/3 water, I think). This part is what took the longest. Surprisingly, this took quite a few days to dry. After it was dry, I rolled it up and carefully inserted it into the vase.
Finally, I let it set in the light for a few hours during the day time. When it got dark, I checked to see, and sure enough, the vase glows in the dark. In the day time, it looks really pretty just sitting on the piano; at night, it glows in the dark. (Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it glowing in the dark. My camera is not good enough for that. :-) ).
I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial. Maybe you will make one yourself. You might try small glow sticks inside instead of the glow-in-the-dark insert if you want something easier and don't want to wait for the batting to dry.
Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed. Try it and have fun!