This morning my devotions were in Luke 1:27-55. This is a very happy passage. Verses 46 - 53 contain Mary's song of praise to God after she found out she was to be the mother of Jesus and after she went to visit her cousin Elisabeth who was expecting John the Baptist at that time. Below is this song of praise and some things that it teaches us about God.
46And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 47And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. 48For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. 49For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. 50And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. 51He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. 52He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. 53He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
Things this song teaches about God
1. God is great
2. God is to be magnified by our spirits
3. God remembers us in our low estate
4. God is mighty
5. God does great things for His servants
6. God's name is holy
7. God will have mercy on all who fear Him, throughout all genrations.
8. God's arms are full of strength
9. God scatters the proud and brings to naught the imaginations of their heart
10. God puts down the mighty from their seats
11. God exalts those of low degree
12. God fills the hungry with good things
13. God sends the rich away empty (indicating the rich who use their wealth and position to take advantage of the poor and get more for themselves)
14. God helps His servants because He is merciful*
15. God keeps His promises
* This verse was specifically talking about the fulfillment of one of God's prophecies to Israel. But God's character never changes. In His mercy He will help His servants.